I thoroughly enjoyed my DVD of “The Yes Men” yesterday, because:
- It is a perfect example of detournement in situationist thinking: exposing the society of the spectacle via an even greater, more ridiculous spectacle
- It did so using poo and willy gags
- The activists could only have met, worked together and set up their pranks because of the Internet
- It reminded me that most Americans are not bible-thumping money-worshipping solipsistic buffoons (it’s been three years and the re-election of George Dubya since I’ve been to the U.S., so I needed reminding)
- Much of what they were saying is absolutely correct.