General webdev resources
- The Return of “Best Viewed in…” by Adrian Roselli
- Every wanted to link to a specific place in a document you don’t control? Yeah, me too. Simon St Laurent and Eric Meyer have a spec that solves this called Using CSS Selectors as Fragment Identifiers, using fragment identifiers like
< a href="http://example.com/lorem.html#css(.content:nth-child(2))">foo</a>. Discuss it at CSS Selectors as Fragment Identifiers Community Group
- CSS image replacement using pseudo-elements (because web fonts don’t solve every use-case, eg my blog header)
- Opera’s Man in Security Land asks How secure is online shopping, really?
- Anna “Debbo” Debenham has been collecting front-end styleguides
- Polyfill for getUserMedia by Addy Osmani, uses Flash as a fallback. Not production ready – more IE testing required, and anyway, the spec is shifting again (events rather than callbacks anyone?)
- sendthemyourmoney.com: “The MPAA & RIAA claim that the internet is stealing billions of dollars worth of their property by sharing copies of files. They’re willing to destroy the internet with things like SOPA & PIPA in an attempt to collect that money…Let’s just pay them the money! They’ve made it very clear that they consider digital copies to be just as valuable as the original…Take a picture or scan an image of your money. Send digital copies to the MPAA & RIAA in whatever quantity you feel you can afford.
There has been much discussion that localstorage is dead and we should all stop using it because IndexedDB is much better. It’s also 676% harder to learn. I initially wrote “Not sure that localstorage is broken. But “localstorage-for-big-data-eg-images-because-vendors-can’t-agree-on-a-DB-API” is certainly so.”
Nicholas Zakas writes In defense of localStorage:
So localStorage is slower than using an in-memory object. Cars are slower than airplanes. What does that tell us? Not a whole lot. …The reason localStorage is popular is partly due to its simplicity… The proposed alternative, IndexedDB, is perhaps one of the worst API designs I’ve ever seen.
John Allsopp does some performance testing in localStorage, perhaps not so harmful.
Shwetank Dixit (disclosure: my friend, from Opera) has a balanced post LocalStorage: Do you want fries with that?
You might also like my occasional collection of punk rock videos and my misc blog. But you might not. Whatevs.