“There’s no markup or API for dialog boxes, tool palettes, hovering tooltips, the contents of popup widgets, and the like.” says Hixie, and begins collecting examples and code snippets to start a specification.
HTML5 Canvas 5 Gets New Features, including hit regions, SVG-style paths.
- Media Query & Asset Downloading Results – how images are downloaded when media queries are involved.
- Opera Mobile Extensions: Installing and testing – 6 min video on Opera’s experimental Mobile builds with extensions
- Opera Mobile Extensions (2): Remote debugging with Opera Dragonfly – the second 6 minute video looking at Opera Mobile extensions, demonstrating how to easily debug them from your desktop.
- “I would personally prefer the group to take on the more substantial challenge of being relevant to the world, rather than withdraw to being a de facto documentation team for a couple of companies who could easily do that for themselves.” Chaals reminds the W3C Core Mobile Web Platform Community Group that it’s a World Wide Web, and it’s not owned by Google and Apple.
- Take the BlueVia Mobile Developer Attitudes survey. “Every year we fund research into Mobile Developer Attitudes and then we open source the results”
- Responsive web design: a project-management perspective
- Designers respond to Nielsen on mobile – Jakob Nielsen, Queen of the Blue-Links Brigade, published some silly guidelines about mobile development recommending separate sites, cut-down content for mobile and auto-redirects to mobile sites.
- A Baseline for Front-End Developers: “There’s a new set of baseline skills required in order to be successful as a front-end developer”, which Rebecca Murphey lists, with links.
- The best analysis of the Facebook/ Instagram acquisition
- My finest ever spam phone call troll: a 15 minute audio in which I attempt to seduce “John” who called to do a “survey”, and cajole him into singing his questions to me.