- Anne van Kesteren: What XML can learn from HTML; also known as XML5
- Google joins W3C Device APIs Working Group, which now contains Opera, Microsoft, Google, Mozilla. I wonder when Apple will join?
- An Introduction to WebVTT and <track> by Ian Devlin
- HTTP: Let’s GET it on! – the second HTTP tutorial by Karl Dubost
- Adaptive images element suggested to W3C HTML Working Group because it’s urgent and WHATWG is silent.
- Accessible form validation feedback – demo by The Paciello Group
- Shiny Demos is on Github
- Gaming company Wooga stops development of HTML5 game â€˜Magic Land Islandâ€™ and releases open source code, focuses on native mobile apps.
- Developer Economics 2012 â€“ The new app economy “One in three developers lives below the app poverty line … 14% of developers will make somewhere between $500 and $1,000 per app … BlackBerry comes out on top in terms of average revenue followed by iOS … iOS most expensive platform to develop on at $27,000 per app.”
- Google reports ‘alarming’ rise in censorship by governments.
- HTML5 Doctor won a Critters award and has a DuckDuckGo plugin
- Why 419 scammers’ emails are deliberately full of typos and errors – “By sending an email that repels all but the most gullible the scammer gets the most promising marks to self-select, and tilts the true to false positive ratio in his favor”
- Abandoned Dubai – haunting photos
- Cosmo’s 44 Most Ridiculous Sex Tips – A fond look back on years of outrageous, impractical, and just plain bad sex advice from Cosmo.
“Raising an Olympian” – a 3 minute video from Kavita Raut’s rural Indian mum. Even though it’s an ad and I’m a cynical old bastard I found it quite touching.