HTML5: Facebook’s “biggest mistake”
Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg said “the biggest mistake that we made as a company is betting too much on HTML5 as opposed to native.” and much “HTML5 is rubbish” frenzy ensused, so few people notived that he continued
I’m actually, on long-term, really excited about [html5]. One of the things that’s interesting is we actually have more people on a daily basis using mobile Web Facebook than we have using our iOS or Android apps combined. So mobile Web is a big thing for us.
Dion Almaer pondered Was the strategy wrong, or the execution?, while Brian Leroux pithily noted
zuck should’ve built his mobile app in html rendered from php, with 40+ blocking script tags. oh wait, they did.
The Register has more analysis.
HTML5 and NEWT
- Fixing app cache – Appcache is hard. Let’s make it better (not go shopping)
- CSS Working Group discuss vendor prefixes
- Opt-Out Responsive Design by the jolly nice Chris Coyier
- Hot in web standards: July/August 2012 by Lea Verou
- Full WebRTC support is soon coming to a web browser near you!
- See your site like the rest of the world does. On the Nokia X2-01 – great post by David Storey crunches some numbers
- Mobile performance bottlenecks for games & apps (by zynga developers)
- Sublime Text Workflow That Beats Coda and Espresso
- HTML5 <canvas> Scratch Pad
- Using RoboHydra as a mock server with added Bruce meme demos
- WordPress Backup to Dropbox – handy plugin
- SwipeView “is the super simple solution to endless seamlessly loopable carousels for the mobile browser. It’s memory conservative as it uses only three elements at any given time”
- Seven ways mobile phones have changed lives in Africa (CNN)
- What Drives Me Crazy When Integrating With a New API?
- The real cost of an iPhone 5: life in the Foxconn factory. Before more blow-Jobs Apple fanboys flame me, the report notes “This is very far from being only Apple’s problem, of course.”
- How to piss off your designer friends and give them a migraine
A cautionary song about social networking by @ourmaninjapan (lyrics):