Lots of tasty web/ apps links here, Reading List Fans!
- New data shows losing 80% of mobile users is normal, and why the best apps do better by Andrew Chen (Uber). TL;DR: the average Android app gets uninstalled by 77% of users in 24 hrs. By day 90, install retention is down to 3.97%.
- The app boom is over “Last month, the top 15 app publishers saw downloads drop an average of 20 percent in the U.S.”
- Meanwhile, in web land… The Crisis Facing the Web Platform in which Peter Gasston plays Boswell to Alex Russell’s Dr Johnson
- PWA Discovery: You Ain’t Seen Nothin Yet by Alex Russell
- Progressively less progressive Andrew Betts on mobile-only, JS-required PWAs. I particularly agree with him about AMP.
- Don’t use iOS meta tags irresponsibly in your Progressive Web Apps by Maximiliano Firtman
- Progressive Web Apps isn’t a Google-only thing – absolutely! The amount of time I’ve spent with Andreas Bovens and the Opera for Android team is huge!
- Android Instant Apps, Progressive Web Apps and the Future of the Web by Jason Grigsby
- Why UK’s Government Digital Service Decided To Ditch Apps
- The fucking open web – a discouraging essay by a software CEO, which is important to address as browser makers, standardisers & devs.
- Surveying the landscape by Peter Gasston; a less gloomy assessment of the web, by @stopsatgreen. Long, but deffo worth reading.
- Opera 38 goes final with new battery saver – 49% longer battery life than using Chrome. Because PCs don’t live on your desk, plugged in all the time.
- A list of everything that could go in the <head> of your document – it’s a LOT
- [Proposal] API to Control User Gesture Navigation – CSS
overscroll-actionproperty to control user gesture navigation
- Typosquatting programming language package managers – “17000 computers were forced to execute arbitrary code by typosquatting programming language packages/libraries” of which 50% had admin rights, including .mil and .gov domains. Fiendishly brilliant.
- chinese text displays in different sizes and fonts: troubleshooting chinese font problems
- Decoding Culture on the Chinternet – collecting and preserving memes on the Chinese internet
- Open Open Source – Charlotte Spencer on getting more diverse participants in projects
Oh, and if you’re in the London area and looking to hire someone to do Content Marketing and Content Strategy, contact my cousin Simon Migliano, even though as a kid he used to cry in fear at The Magic Roundabout.