- Ruffle is an Adobe Flash Player emulator written in the Rust programming language. Ruffle targets both the desktop and the web using WebAssembly.
- npm Pulls Malicious Package that Stole Login Passwords – “computers that had this package installed or running should be considered “fully compromised because it deployed an executable for Windows operating system.”
- Midyear ADA Web & App Accessibility Lawsuit Report – “The rate of lawsuits filed in federal courts related to website and app accessibility has now hit a rate of one-an-hour, that’s 8 a day, 40 per week and set to be on pace for over 2,000 lawsuits again this year.”
- A Potential Privacy Model for the Web: Sharding Web Identity (part of Chromium’s Improving privacy and security on the web)
- Stop the Open Data Bus, We Want to Get Off “Anonymised” data: “re-identification of individuals in the Myki public transport dataset … We demonstrate the ease with which we were able to re-identify ourselves, our co-travellers, & complete strangers” (PDF)
- Why bother with What Three Words? by Uncle Tezza. I take his point, but think he’s being overly harsh; I’ve found W3W to be useful when meeting someone in a large area, e.g. picking my daughter up at a festival etc. There are, however, free alternatives
- The Planet Needs a New Internet – “the internet as a whole—including the energy used to power data centers, networks, and individual devices, as well as the energy used during the manufacturing of those devices—is responsible for about 7 percent of global electricity consumption”
- Google Is Tightening Its Grip on Your Website – “If I use AMP, I tie my fate to Google’s whims.”
- evolt.org Browser Archive 20 Years Old = “At launch browsers.evolt.org contained 80 different browsers.”
- By the End of This Century, the Global Population Will Start to Shrink – “The fertility rate is falling in every country on the planet… “The brain is the most important reproductive organ. Once a woman is socialized to have an education and a career, she is socialized to have a smaller family. There’s no going back.”
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.2 — Draft Proposal – +3000 to Success Criterion 6.1.1
Want my reading lists sent straight to your inbox? Sign up and Mr Mailchimp will send it your way.